VMware Esxi serverAbel Tsegaye
VMware ESXi is free. However, the software comes with a 60 days evaluation mode. You should register on VMware website to get your free license key to come out of the evaluation mode. Once the ESXi is installed, you can either user vSphere Client on the Direct Console User Interface to administer the host.
VMware ESXi is based on hypervisor architecture that runs directly on top of a hardware as shown below.
Get the software from the VMware ESXi download page.
Following are the various download options available. Select “ESXi 4.0 Update 1 Installable (CD ISO) Binary (.iso)” and burn a CD.
- ESXi 4.0 Update 1 Installable (CD ISO)
- Upgrade package from ESXi Server 3.5 to ESXi Server 4.0 Update 1
- Upgrade package from ESXi Server 4.0 to ESXi Server 4.0 Update 1
- VMware vSphere Client and Host Update Utility
2. VMware VMvisor Boot Menu
3. VMware ESXi Installer Loading
While the installer is loading all the necessary modules, it will display the server configuration information at the top as shown below. In this example, I am installing VMware ESXi on a Dell PowerEdge server.
5. Accept VMware EULA
6. Select a Disk to Install VMware ESXi
7. Confirm ESXi Installation
8. Installation in Progress
The installation process takes few minutes. While the ESXi is getting installed, it will display a progress bar as shown below.
9. ESXi Installation Complete
You will get the following installation completed message that will prompt you to reboot the server.
10. ESXi Initial Screen
press <F2> and configure a static IP Address and save.
Now you need to go over to your browser and go to http://ip_address to create virtual machines.